Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Empty
PostSubject: Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse   Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 10:12 am

Harbhajan Singh has been cleared at an appeal hearing of racially abusing Australia all-rounder Andrew Symonds.
The India spinner had been found guilty of calling Symonds, Australia's only mixed-race player, a "monkey" during the second Test in Sydney this month.

But at an appeal hearing on Tuesday, Harbhajan had his three-match ban lifted and was instead fined half his match fee for offensive behaviour.

The charge was downgraded to general abuse, governing body the ICC said.

"The racial abuse charges have been dropped," said Niranjan Shah, secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India. "It is finished.

"The punishment is only for using obscene language."
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse   Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 9:13 pm

I expected this. School children the lot of them and leaves a huge shadow over a series that should have been all about the best two teams in Test cricket. Australians.... offspring of convicts Wink
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse   Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 pm

The judge who ruled on this has come out and said Harbhajan Sing is extremely lucky with his punishment for his offence.
here's what the bbc said
The judge who cleared India's Harbhajan Singh of racial abusing Australia's Andrew Symonds says human error saved the player from a bigger punishment.
Harbhajan was fined for a lesser charge of verbal abuse but John Hansen said he could have imposed a different penalty had he been aware of his past record.

In 2001 Harbhajan was fined and banned for attempting to intimidate umpires.

Hansen revealed Harbhajan could have received a one-match ban had he known about the event, which occurred in a series against South Africa.
He said he had considered reopening the sentencing process when he was belatedly made aware of the matter, but could not.

"If I had been aware of the serious transgression in November 2001 I would have required more extensive submissions as to the offense in mitigation which could have led to a different penalty," said Hansen.

"Overnight I have given earnest consideration to the Code of Conduct to see if it empowers me to reopen the sentencing process. Regrettably I have concluded that I cannot do so and the penalty imposed by me must stand.

"At the end of the day Mr. Singh can feel himself fortunate that he has reaped the benefit of these database and human errors."
---------------
rumour also has it that the decision to downgrade the charge from ra racist remark to swearing was to stop the Indians from boycotting the One Day tour
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse   Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse Empty

Back to top Go down

Harbhajan cleared of racial abuse
Page 1 of 1