Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Empty
PostSubject: Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager   Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Lincoln City have appointed former Blackburn, Chelsea and Celtic striker Chris Sutton as their new manager.

The 36-year-old, who was capped once by England, succeeds Peter Jackson who was dismissed by the Imps at the beginning of September.

Sutton's assistant at Sincil Bank will be ex-Blackburn defender Ian Pearce.

They will take charge on Wednesday, with caretaker boss Simon Clark staying in charge for Tuesday's League Two match at home to Notts County.

Sutton told BBC Radio Lincolnshire: "I'm really pleased to get the opportunity to come here and manage and I want to take the club forward as quickly as I can.

"The setup here is fantastic. There is a good infrastructure, it just needs the team to start winning games on the pitch.

"Over the last couple of years I've thought about it [going into management] and got organised. I'm ready and prepared.

"Now we want to get the team organised, get the confidence up and start winning football matches.

"We need to pick up a couple of results, and if we do that we'll get some momentum and over the course of the next few months I'm convinced we'll improve."

Sutton began his career at Norwich City, initially as a defender before converting to a striker.

He became the first £5m player in English football when he moved to Blackburn Rovers in 1994, and the following season formed the "SAS" strike partnership with Alan Shearer as Rovers won the Premier League title.

A single England cap followed in 1997 and in 1999 Sutton moved to Chelsea for £10m, before heading to Celtic the following season.

After six prolific years in Scotland Sutton returned to England, joining Birmingham and then Aston Villa before retiring in July 2007 with an eye injury.

During his career Sutton played under high-profile managers including Kenny Dalglish and Martin O'Neill and added: "I was lucky enough to play under many managers who were very successful.

"It doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to be successful but it was a fantastic experience to play under them and how could you not learn from those guys?"
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Number of posts : 995
Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 999Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager   Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 am

LEGEND

And i wish him luck! Used to be my favorite player!!!
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager   Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Sutton made my worst players ever to pull on a Chelsea shirt team.

I think he must have been preparing to be a manager when he was with us, cause he never threatened to get close to the oppositions goal.

Although he did score against man utd in the days we would beat them most of the time lol
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager   Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Sutton had a few really good years with Norwich and Blackburn, but too many injuries shortened his career. Did well up in Scotland against weak opposition and his goal agaisnt United I believe was the only one he scored for Chelsea in the league. If he had stayed injury free he could of been prolific scorer.

Not sure how he will do as a manager, but unlike a former teammate, he realizes that he has to start at the bottom and work his way up. Lincoln is as good a place as any to start your management career, they are are in a relegation battle, so if Sutton just keeps them up he has been successful.

They say that Lincoln have one of the most successful youth academies in the lower leagues, so maybe he can find some diamonds in their acadamy that will help them stay up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager   Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager Empty

Back to top Go down

Lincoln appoint Sutton as manager
Page 1 of 1