Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anybody watching Euro 2012?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

Anybody watching Euro 2012? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 4:32 pm

This has been a very good tournament as far as International football goes. Perhaps the best group stages I have seen in some time. Attacking football lots of goals none of that defensive three draws and you make the knockout stage that seems to have taken over the World Cup.

One game to go for each team and only Ireland and Sweden are out and nobody has advanced to the next round yet. There is lots to play for this week should be quite a week.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Not really, I have been trying to avoid it as much as possible, but I did catch the ROI Spain game n enjoyed that. Was more shocked by Roy Keane putting the boot into the Irish players after the game than the result.

I backed France to beat England and that Lost..... then I backed the draw against Sweden, as we never beat them. So I am not having a good run lol

I only saw the latter game and thought England were poor and agreed with the Swedish players that they were the better side, but as we all know, the better side often loses.

Think Wellbeck is an outstanding prospect & for me, apart from a few defenders, the only England players to come out of that game with credit. The two central midfielders should both retire as they are both very slow and laughable at times. Retaining the ball while in traffic is the most important part of a holding midfielder once we re-gain the ball. Neither do that job well and was the main reason Chelsea got rid of Parker.

Now with the boy wonder about to re-turn, Ukraine are a Shoe-in for the next round lol!
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:21 pm

The England games have probably been the poorest of the lot. I was referring to some of the other groups, Group A especially. Odd seeing Russia and Poland going out today. the Greeks just seem to slip through while the Czechs are getting better each game. Portugal Holland should be a good one tomorrow and Spain Croatia interests me as well.
Back to top Go down
chelseaforthedrop

chelseaforthedrop

Number of posts : 269
Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue20 / 99920 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 12:18 am

I'm loving it, some really good games and the England Sweden game was a thriller really. OK the midfield was packed and made the game scrappy, but that's football, it was an exciting game which put me through every emotion! The twists and turns are what make it exciting.

I look forward to the game with Ukraine and really hope we qualify! Abcdef will tell you that any competitive England game down our local is always exciting! Haha!
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 3:20 pm

I have a feeling Rooney has something to prove and will lead England to victory over the Ukraine.

Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:41 pm

TickTok wrote:
Not really, I have been trying to avoid it as much as possible, but I did catch the ROI Spain game n enjoyed that. Was more shocked by Roy Keane putting the boot into the Irish players after the game than the result.

Disappointing to hear Keane go on about Trapattoni’s continued selection of senior players despite the national team’s unfavourable results.

He maybe right about the senior Irish players not deserving to be picked when you look at their form and results, but I am not sure that Trapattoni has any other choice. Perhaps if Keane had given some examples of younger players that could be picked if there are any, than he may come off more constructive. Keane is also wrong in questioning the commitment of senior players like Dunne and O'Shea. The simple truth is that the Irish just aren't good enough.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Tick, your lack of support for England is a little startling.

Could you be more negative??

You are effectively criticising a shit team (which we are) setting up to play football in a negative fashion. I agree that we cannot retain possession but that is because we are simply not the best team. If we have any chance of winning the tournament (we do have a chance, its very small) then this is the way it has to be done.

As a Chelsea fan you should be just as aware of this, given you won the biggest competition out there, despiting displaying a woeful ability to retain possession and play attractive football.

If you arent the best team, then you shouldnt play as if you are. Then you stand a chance....

What I find most refreshing about this England side, is they do not overrate themselves. To hear Carroll and Welbeck score goals and then say they would be happy to come from the bench if that's what's required is music to my ears. Much better than Lampard/Gerrard will they/wont they, and other players refusing to play again because they werent picked etc etc.

A Euro's without a drama and a team effort that we can be proud of... that's what Im after. So far, this squad has delivered that.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 pm

abcdef wrote:
Tick, your lack of support for England is a little startling.

Could you be more negative??

You are effectively criticising a shit team (which we are) setting up to play football in a negative fashion. I agree that we cannot retain possession but that is because we are simply not the best team. If we have any chance of winning the tournament (we do have a chance, its very small) then this is the way it has to be done.

As a Chelsea fan you should be just as aware of this, given you won the biggest competition out there, despiting displaying a woeful ability to retain possession and play attractive football.

If you arent the best team, then you shouldnt play as if you are. Then you stand a chance....

What I find most refreshing about this England side, is they do not overrate themselves. To hear Carroll and Welbeck score goals and then say they would be happy to come from the bench if that's what's required is music to my ears. Much better than Lampard/Gerrard will they/wont they, and other players refusing to play again because they werent picked etc etc.

A Euro's without a drama and a team effort that we can be proud of... that's what Im after. So far, this squad has delivered that.

We have been here before ~ I am sure I have explained why I no longer fall for the bullshit n crap which surrounds most of the players who pull on a England shirt. So I am not going to go over old ground, but wish you and your brother well in your hopes for the boys at your fav watering hole.

However, I will take issue with your comparing what Chelsea did, with the England games against France n Sweden.

Chelsea played 2 games against a universally accepted best club side for the last 30 years or so. They then went and played the final, away from home on the oppositions home patch. England faced a side with a few above average forward players in France, but a defence n Keeper who are suspect, and then, allowed a below average n ageing Swedish side to lead 2-1, before fluking a goal from a non football playing athlete and a worldy finish from someone I think is the find of this squad.

The football standard of the 3 CL games compared with the last two England games is so emence, that I have a hope we do get the chance to play Spain. Although they dont have Messi, so it will be easier, but it would be very interesting to see if Gerrard and Parker can perform like Mikel n Lampard.

For me, its chalk n cheese and underlines English fans in general not understanding the ability and talents of our players.

I keep hearing people saying, "England are doing a Chelsea"

Do me a favour! Rolling Eyes That be Winning something then?
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Redcanuck wrote:
I have a feeling Rooney has something to prove and will lead England to victory over the Ukraine.

I have bet on him to come off injured (Pull of somesort, followed by pundits saying "well he hasnt played for 5 weeks" lol) and or sent off against Ukraine. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chelseaforthedrop

chelseaforthedrop

Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue20 / 99920 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:48 pm

TickTok wrote:
For me, its chalk n cheese and underlines English fans in general not understanding the ability and talents of our players.

You've misunderstood Tick. Neither me or abcdef are claiming our players really have the ability or talent to win this competition. Both of us have said on a few occasions that getting out of this group will be a success for us in of itself. It is just a situation in which I am excited to support my nation no matter how small a chance of winning the competition we have, and hoping for at the very least a valiant effort in the competition, at most, who knows!

I agree it is great to see the youngsters giving decent interviews indicating they understand that this is a squad, a country and if they are selected, it is an honour to pull on the shirt and they must earn it. Welbeck and Carroll seem to be understanding of the fact that stats don't guaruntee starts, but passion is essential. If in 10 years we were losing 6-1 to belarus i'd still pull on my shirt and shout my heart out. It's not about winning the competition, we are leagues from Spain, it's about that possibilty, no matter how slight. I love the emotion, the delight AND the heartbreak that makes supporting football in general such a wonder.

I guess my point in all this is don't think me or abcdef are overrating our chances, just harbouring that small hope that maybe, just maybe....
Back to top Go down
chelseaforthedrop

chelseaforthedrop

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Also I want to put this out there, my question for England is "How big are your balls Roy?"

I don't want to see Rooney start the final game against Ukraine. No doubt he is a quality player, who as a Man Utd player, of course I support fully, BUT. With Carroll and Welbeck putting in decent performances for England and scoring goals, I would rather see a similar set up with Rooney on the bench. If he comes on and makes an impact where either of the other two faltered, then bring him in to start, otherwise, make footballing choices, not hopeful choices!
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 pm

The football standard of the 3 CL games compared with the last two England games is so emence, that I have a hope we do get the chance to play Spain

Harry Redknapp doesn't agree with you.

“Frankly, I wouldn’t swap England’s front six for any at this tournament – including Spain’s.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Anybody watching Euro 2012? Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Anybody watching Euro 2012? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I would play Rooney for the start and back him ust for once to perform for England. This will be because he's supported by a team that will work as hard as he will.

Roy's got the team playing like a team, leagues from Spain sure, but its a team that we have a slight chance of being proud of. And I havent felt proud of an England team for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 pm

They have to play Rooney, why take him at all if they decide to sit him out.

It looks like it will be Spain in the quarters providing they don't lose to the Ukraine. For awhile there I thought it would be Italy in the 1/4 final then Portugal in the semis and probably Germany in the final. Then I came to my senses and decided not to act like the tabloid press and get on this band wagon yet.

Plenty of flags in the neighbourhood, the Polish ones came down a couple of days ago, the guy across the street took his Dutch flag down yesterday and all the Croatian flags in the City are coming down as I type. Massive Italian and Portuguese community in the City so their flags are flying high. My flags and jerseys are still folded away and since they haven't lose yet I am too superstitious to bring them out now.
Back to top Go down
chelseaforthedrop

chelseaforthedrop

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Italy it is.

I still think I would have left out Rooney for the starting line-up and brought him on the final half, maybe half hour. I think the fact he had a poor performance backed this up!

Either way, we made it! Anything more is a bonus! C'mon the Lions!
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:25 am

Rooney did look rusty but he needed the a complete game to get the rust out. If he had only played twenty minutes he would still have been rusty against Italy.

Much rather play Italy than Spain. Think it's at least 50/50 and with the Italians yet to play well can see England making the semis, where Germany will await. Will take it one game at a time but I can't see this English team beating either Germany or Spain.
Back to top Go down
chelseaforthedrop

chelseaforthedrop

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:14 am

I hope we get to play Germany though...it's always a special game!
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Disagree.

Rooney has 85 minutes under his belt and a goal. Papers over a bad performance and puts him in a great position for knockouts.

If you put him on the bench, he might not have the bad performance, but he doesnt get the minutes under his belt and he doesnt score the winner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody watching Euro 2012?   Anybody watching Euro 2012? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody watching Euro 2012?
Page 1 of 1