Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Important Announcement

Go down 
+5
JoshBrfc
abcdef
huzup
Redcanuck
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue0 / 9990 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

Important Announcement Empty
PostSubject: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Red n I are calling a meeting of the boards membership at 9.30pm this coming Sunday 23rd August where we would like to discuss a number of items with you all. Please let either Red or Myself know if you can make it as we would want as many as possible to take part in the meeting.

Cheers
Tick
Back to top Go down
http://talkfootball.niceboard.net
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Have not heard from a lot of members that they are willing to attend this meeting.
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 8:22 pm

I cant make it at that time unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Should be available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 12:20 pm

try and make it if i can.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:50 pm

With not many people making a comment on this, I wonder if a "live" discussion is the best way to address any issues that have arisen?

Perhaps a post underlying the important points, that could be commented on as and when by the more established members?

I wonder what is your motivation for having the live discussion? Its not something we have done before?
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Number of posts : 995
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 1:55 pm

I can be..
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 am

It seems as though the only thing to come out of the discussion yesterday was a need to advertise the site more, as much as we all can. That does seem the only way to promote it to more people.

This morning I was just going through some of my Fantasy League things online and I thought....we have a very high standard, very competitive League for our forum. Perhaps friends (I have got one interested for example) could be enticed to enter into the league to start with, and then enticed toward the forum using the league via messages on the FL site itself.

Many people participate in the fantasy league and you always need leagues to be in. So perhaps that is an avenue we can work? Just a thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 11:57 am

I think thats a great thought abcdef.

Once you left there was talk about changing the name but then I had to leave. Did you decide whether or not to change the name because it is pointless me advertising now if the name is going to be changed?
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm

I left reasonably early.

I would have thought that TalkFootball a) pretty well describes what we do on this board and b) is a pretty "searchable" word. However, should you google that, a much more established site pops up and in fact ours is not there at all.

If we are to do it through search engines, we need to have something easily searchable (as we do) but something that pops up in the first page of google, or whatever. Probably have to pay for such a priviledge though.

I have advertised the forum on my facebook status, but I hold little hope of encouraging joiners via that!

To be fair, we only lack a gooner and then a nice gathering of fans from other clubs. Even some established members barely post.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 3:04 pm

abcdef wrote:
I left reasonably early.

I would have thought that TalkFootball a) pretty well describes what we do on this board and b) is a pretty "searchable" word. However, should you google that, a much more established site pops up and in fact ours is not there at all.

Yes that has been happening for sometime - bloody annoying.

abcdef wrote:
If we are to do it through search engines, we need to have something easily searchable (as we do) but something that pops up in the first page of google, or whatever. Probably have to pay for such a priviledge though.

I agree 100% with this n it would mean a new board to be started from scratch - Its the only way I know we can change our name.

abcdef wrote:
To be fair, we only lack a gooner and then a nice gathering of fans from other clubs. Even some established members barely post.

Yes, I tried to point this out last night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I have been tweeting on twitter today, I am also writing up a blog post which I will re-post a few times a week. I have also contacted some blog owners to see if they can get a link up.
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:37 pm

I missed the discussion. Had to go out Sunday night. But I've got the idea about what was discussed!
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 3:45 pm

I left just before the meeting but a quick point on the google issue...I did register the site with about 500 hundred search engines a while back and it did then appear on google - however I have a feeling google works by paying to have your site at the top - or the number of hits you get directly from google search results.

Which probably means our website has gone down the pecking order. - just checked and its on the 3rd page - it was 6th on the first page when I registered it.
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Well its getting better eh Wink
Back to top Go down
dannyboy2890

dannyboy2890

Number of posts : 674
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue20 / 99920 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Whats the facebook page?
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:50 pm

dannyboy2890 wrote:
Whats the facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1354547380#/group.php?gid=173280475065

Doesn't do much good I have no idea how you promote through facebook other than paying them to do it.
Back to top Go down
dannyboy2890

dannyboy2890

Number of posts : 674
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue20 / 99920 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Cheers, have just joined and posted.
I will invite people to join.

Also an idea to attract people, on random groups just pop the link here and there "by mistake"
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 pm

I didn't know we had a facebook group lol. I will check it out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chelseaforthedrop

chelseaforthedrop

Number of posts : 269

Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 pm

I know a baggie ;-). And a Toon both who quite like chatting about footie as well as some others, if that would help?
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 pm

chelseaforthedrop wrote:
I know a baggie ;-). And a Toon both who quite like chatting about footie as well as some others, if that would help?

The more the merrier and with both back in the Premier it would help.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Fresh blood for Tick to tear apart. Fireworks.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:51 pm

I had a look at the admin part of this website as you asked Tick, and played around a little with what was there, but there appears to be very little to influence where our forum lies on search engine results. Unless you use the word "niceboard" in the search (when we appear on page 1) there is no chance.

I wonder, to start with, if there is a way we can make this forum (first) more attractive to our own members. We have a solid membership base that don't use the forum regularly enough. Our top ten most active users and their total posts:

TickTok 3172
Redcanuck 3021
abcdef 1239
huzup 1109
JoshBrfc 1025
dannyboy 447
simpleman 402
dicanio 337
Conservative 177
Trickster 171

Now danny joined a year later than every else, so disinclude him...how can we make this forum better for the bottom 4 on this list. Users that I would consider to be core users, but people we dont see much on here really. It would be nice to hear from those particular users of course!!!

With 10 VERY ACTIVE members, discussions would be very good, there would be more posts etc and we wouldnt feel the emptiness that we do. Tick and Red, your post numbers illustrate clearly the threads that basically you two comment on and no one else. Every thread that pops up, you both have something to say....I'm wondering why that cannot be said for the rest of us.

In the last 3 months, we have had our best period for new members joining up. (member name, no of posts, sign up date)

couhalllan 0 21 Jul 2010
GatorBait 1 18 Jul 2010
ashiqur 1 24 Jun 2010
jil_surya 4 15 Jun 2010
Deano 0 10 Jun 2010
LNsoccer 0 07 Jun 2010
boris4030 1 11 May 2010

Anyone know who any of these are and why they joined on the date given and havent visited since. If on the off chance any of those members read this, what do you want from the forum?

Now, of course, activity will go up when the new season starts. Always does. Will it be enough, probably not.

Competitions: we run enough, dont we? Premier challenge, last man standing, fantasy league, ticks swindles. I am more than guilty of not getting the premier challenge things in on time (this season I am turning over a new leaf). Hopefully Red and Tick, you are happy to keep these competitions running. Maybe the less active posters could suggest a competition that they might run, perhaps get them more interested. I would be happy to run one, but cannot think of any ideas that we havent already covered.

Layout: Forums very cluttered. That said, I typed "football forum chat" into google and looked at the top 4 or 5. They are all at least as cluttered as ours, with as many sub forums etc...very messy. Obvious to notice they are all .com or .co.uk and we cannot hope to compete with them and their 10s of thousands of members (i assume you have to pay for these sorts of domains). Can we make our forum less cluttered, with less sub forums?? For example, other sports can just be one section. It doesnt need to be broken up into sports because we do not speak about them enough.
Another good feature I saw on another forum was a recent threads section at the very top of the home page. For us, we can click a very small link for recent threads or todays threads, but if they appeared on the first page, perhaps more people would be encouraged to visit them? Again, have looked at the admin section and cannot work out how to reorganise stuff and not even sure its my place to do so. Best left to Red and Tick.

Well, thats my rant basically over. Any thoughts on this from anyone other than Red or Tick would be good as well, because it seems to be just them that debate everything !! (of course, those two should add their input too, i would just welcome other thoughts).

Would moving to a forum with more options and things like that be an option, or is moving home more likely to end up with us leaving members we already have behind?

One final idea.... log out of this forum and go to the homepage. See what we offer. Search football forum and go on one of the top ones and see what they offer without signing up. On other forums you can read all the threads....you cant post without signing up though. Maybe if guests could see all we have to offer, and they could read some of our recent active topics, they would be tempted to sign up because they maybe have something to say.
As a guest to this forum, there isnt much to see to entice you in.... can we change that?
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 pm

I had a look at the admin part of this website as you asked Tick, and
played around a little with what was there, but there appears to be very
little to influence where our forum lies on search engine results.
Unless you use the word "niceboard" in the search (when we appear on
page 1) there is no chance.

That is a major problem, it is highly unlikely that anyone would use the word niceboard when in a search engine when they are looking for a football forum.

Would moving to a forum with more options and things like that be an
option, or is moving home more likely to end up with us leaving members
we already have behind?

Nobody wants to pay for a domain. If there are other build your own
forums out there that offer better and more options let us know.

With 10 VERY ACTIVE members, discussions would be very good, there would
be more posts etc and we wouldnt feel the emptiness that we do. Tick
and Red, your post numbers illustrate clearly the threads that basically
you two comment on and no one else. Every thread that pops up, you both
have something to say....I'm wondering why that cannot be said for the
rest of us.

I would like to see other members than Tick and I post in many of the other threads but I don't see that happening on a regular basis. Some of the members mainly contribute to the competitions and virtually ignore the other threads. Others are busy with work right now and have other priorities. I speak to Conservative on MSN and he tells me he will post again soon but so far no luck.

couhalllan 0 21 Jul 2010
GatorBait 1 18 Jul 2010
ashiqur 1 24 Jun 2010
jil_surya 4 15 Jun 2010
Deano 0 10 Jun 2010
LNsoccer 0 07 Jun 2010
boris4030 1 11 May 2010

Anyone
know who any of these are and why they joined on the date given and
havent visited since. If on the off chance any of those members read
this, what do you want from the forum?

Most of these new members are likely the same person and is spamming or trolling for new members for their site. Couhallan I spoke to through pm's and he is interested in a link swap with a new site he has just set up. I have looked at his site and that idea is worth keeping an eye on maybe a possibility down the road.

Layout: Forums very cluttered. That said, I typed
"football forum chat" into google and looked at the top 4 or 5. They are
all at least as cluttered as ours, with as many sub forums etc...very
messy. Obvious to notice they are all .com or .co.uk and we cannot hope
to compete with them and their 10s of thousands of members (i assume you
have to pay for these sorts of domains). Can we make our forum less
cluttered, with less sub forums??
For example, other sports can just be
one section. It doesnt need to be broken up into sports because we do
not speak about them enough.

Other Sports certainly could be merged into one sub forum. Also the International forum could also be merged into one thread.

Another good feature I saw on another
forum was a recent threads section at the very top of the home page. For
us, we can click a very small link for recent threads or todays
threads, but if they appeared on the first page, perhaps more people
would be encouraged to visit them? Again, have looked at the admin
section and cannot work out how to reorganise stuff and not even sure
its my place to do so. Best left to Red and Tic

If you can figure out how to do that it would be a good idea to set that up.

One
final idea.... log out of this forum and go to the homepage. See what
we offer. Search football forum and go on one of the top ones and see
what they offer without signing up. On other forums you can read all the
threads....you cant post without signing up though. Maybe if guests
could see all we have to offer, and they could read some of our recent
active topics, they would be tempted to sign up because they maybe have
something to say.
As a guest to this forum, there isnt much to see to entice you in.... can we change that?Important Announcement Empty

From time to time guests have been able to see the whole forum, has not really led to new members though, but I have always thought this would make sense.
Back to top Go down
Trickster

Trickster

Number of posts : 127
Important Announcement Left_bar_bleue35 / 99935 / 999Important Announcement Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:40 pm

LNSoccer is my son! he ain't spam!

I agree with many of the comments, I think we could streamline quite a bit.
I only know Vb forums as I run a couple, so I am not sure how to spruce this one up to make it look better.
i would think some kind of football theme and a coloured background may help visually.

If there are sections that are not getting any posts, I suggest making them as brief as possible combining topics as red suggests. Maybe remove them altogether.

I am also not sure on what options this kind of forum uses, I know with Vb on the header bar, there is a clear link to recent posts.
Does this forum software we use cost anything? I know Vb is pricey but its a good product. If money becomes involved we may lose members.

I like having the competitions pulled out as they were hard to find before.

I know I spend most of my time (what little I have) in the competitions, I just enjoy that the most!
I would suspect that would be a draw for other members, so having it easy to find and maybe broken out more would be better.
I will try and spend more time elsewhere, but between watching games, running 2 forums, participating in a few others (software related) and life, there never seeems to be enough time.
Will also try and get my son to participate once the season starts.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important Announcement   Important Announcement Empty

Back to top Go down

Important Announcement
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Talk-Football :: Welcome to Talk-Football :: Announcements-
Jump to: