Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I don't know where to put this...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

I don't know where to put this... Empty
PostSubject: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 1:44 pm

...so it's going here.

Giovinco has single handedly taken TFC to the playoffs.  It just took what, 10 years for this team to do anything of meaning...and all it took is paying the most money for one player.  Good.  Good.  

This goal though...it's a fuuuuuucking peach. wow.

Also...shades of Mark Hughes. He played in Rome not 24 hours earlier. Landed in Toronto three hours before game time...come's on in the 70th and scores the winner.

Are you watching? Are you watching? Are you watching, Jermaine Defoe?
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
I don't know where to put this... Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999I don't know where to put this... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Should set up a MLS section. Giovinco has had a great season, MVP maybe. Didn't really know much about him til he came to Toronto. He is a starter for Italy or just part of the squad? You wonder if one of the Italian clubs will try to steal him off Toronto?

Back to top Go down
Milt

Milt

Number of posts : 626
I don't know where to put this... Left_bar_bleue0 / 9990 / 999I don't know where to put this... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2015-08-21

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Just got the call up to the Italy squad this time, after being frozen out for a while.
He has been a stand out for the entire season, simply a class above. There is no way he is not back in Europe next season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Redcanuck wrote:
Should set up a MLS section.  Giovinco has had a great season, MVP maybe.  Didn't really know much about him til he came to Toronto.  He is a starter for Italy or just part of the squad?  You wonder if one of the Italian clubs will try to steal him off Toronto?

Yeah there's many rumours of him going back to Europe.  He's small and really couldn't get into Juve's team.  But he's right at the peak of his powers, so you could see him getting picked up by a mid level team.  The thing is...he's on about 173K Euro per week in Toronto.  That's vastly more than any player in Serie A.  It would put him close to Benteke as Liverpool's highest player.  It's about 130K a week in Pounds.  This is before add-on bonuses that I'm sure he's triggered being MLS top scorer, assister and now dragging the team into the playoffs.

So if he's moving to Europe, there better be a team willing to pay him.  He doesn't seem to pine for Champions league play.
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

I don't know where to put this... Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999I don't know where to put this... Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 6:56 pm

Isn't he the highest paid player in the MLS?  At 5'4" he might be considered too small for the big clubs to take a chance on him. How do transfers in tne MLS work, does the league get a % of the fee?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 pm

He is.

Each team gets three designated players. He's one of them. All teams have a salary cap. The league pays the players and a portion of the designated players salary. The balance (whatever is over something in the neighbourhood of 400K gets picked up by the club). Clubs with deep pockets like TFC can shell out for this. This is why TFC has about $18M tied up in three players. The entire cap, per year for every team, is $3.9M.

As for transferring him out....I suspect there is a bit of cash that goes to the league, but as far as I know he's owned by TFC. So if they sell him, they will profit directly given they were paying his huge salary. I could be wrong on this, but the system in the MLS is rather convoluted.
Back to top Go down
Milt

Milt

I don't know where to put this... Left_bar_bleue0 / 9990 / 999I don't know where to put this... Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 12:51 am

I had no idea he was so well paid!
That makes a transfer back to Europe less likely unless he takes a haircut.

On a separate note he is only an inch shorter than Maradona, so if he learns to use his hands he could still be world class.
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 12:59 am

It is easy to forget Maradona was only 5'5". But he was a lot more powerfully built that Giovinco. Giovinco looks like he does not weigh all that much to me. A hard tackle seems it would break him in half.
Back to top Go down
Mothra

Mothra

Number of posts : 168

Registration date : 2015-08-28

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 4:06 am

Thanks for posting that Busby. I have not been paying attention to MLS. Cracker of a goal.
Back to top Go down
Milt

Milt

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 12:29 pm

I've seen plenty of hard tackles in MLS, and the lad hasn't got a bad injury record. Too much made of his weight and height, it's not ice hockey he's playing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Height doesn't measure heart. Trademarked phrase by Our young, smallish Blue Jay pitcher, Marcus Stroman...in whom we entrust yet another massive game today.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't know where to put this...   I don't know where to put this... Empty

Back to top Go down

I don't know where to put this...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Talk-Football :: Non-Domestic Football :: MLS-
Jump to: