Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Five Players charged with betting on game

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
Five Players charged with betting on game Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Five Players charged with betting on game Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

Five Players charged with betting on game Empty
PostSubject: Five Players charged with betting on game   Five Players charged with betting on game EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 3:13 pm

Five players have been charged by the Football Association for breaching betting rules, with some accused of gambling thousands of pounds.

Four players then at Accrington - Jay Harris, David Mannix, Robert Williams and Peter Cavanagh - and Andrew Mangan, who was at Bury, have been charged.

The five have been charged with betting on a victory for Bury in Accrington's last game of last season.

Will be interesting to see what the penalty will be if they are found quilty. One of my earliest memories of football was when ex player Jimmy Gauld approached Sheffield Wednesday player David Layne, a former colleague at Swindon Town F.C., in December 1962. Layne suggested that Wednesday were likely to lose their game against Ipswich Town F.C. and proposed to his fellow players Peter Swan and Tony Kay that they ensure the outcome. The three all bet against their own side in the match.

The story broke in April 1964 and all four of them plus 6 other players received small jail sentences and were banned from football for life.
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Number of posts : 995
Five Players charged with betting on game Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 999Five Players charged with betting on game Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

Five Players charged with betting on game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Players charged with betting on game   Five Players charged with betting on game EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 5:57 pm

I remember this, at he end of last season.

1st i have really heard since.. I KNEW it was true tho.. lol
Back to top Go down

Five Players charged with betting on game
Page 1 of 1