Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gilchrist ends Australia career

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Gilchrist ends Australia career Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Gilchrist ends Australia career Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

Gilchrist ends Australia career Empty
PostSubject: Gilchrist ends Australia career   Gilchrist ends Australia career EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Australia wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist has announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket.
The 36-year-old has now retired from Tests after todays series defeat of India, and will quit one-day internationals at the end of the season.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my opinion, gilly/glichurch has had the sinlge, biggest influence on any one part of Cricket - if it wasnt for him, we would still be looking at wicket keepers who can hold a bat, rather than the tradition of today where we look for out and out batsmen who can catch a ball.
By far the most honest player the game has ever seen, and for me the most honest sportsman. - How ironic it's an Aussie though,lol
He is part of the two record breaking Australian test sides, under Waugh and Punter, and had this incredible side to him in ODI's - His partnership with Hayden in ODI's makes that the best opening pair ever, and his phenomenal batting ability as a test player, who came in at number seven makes him a dead cert in anyones World XI, beit for tests or ODIs.
How fitting he ends his test career beating Mark Boucher's record of catches and winning his final series against the second/third best side in the world.
His test career total is 96 games, which I'd like to add, he played 96 consecutive games, never having been dropped or rested.
He made his Test debut in 1999, and scored 5,556 runs, took 377 catches and made 37 stumpings.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Gilchrist ends Australia career Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Gilchrist ends Australia career Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Gilchrist ends Australia career   Gilchrist ends Australia career EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 3:24 pm

I am not into Cricket as much as I was as a young man, but I have taken in how good a player Gilchrist has been over the years for Australia. Of all the Aussies... he has impressed me most off the pitch when interviewed. I wish him well for the future n pose the question. Australia have had alot of players call it a day in the last 2 years.... are they about to lose their kings of cricket crown?
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Gilchrist ends Australia career Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Gilchrist ends Australia career Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Gilchrist ends Australia career   Gilchrist ends Australia career EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:16 pm

I agree with your sentiments regarding Gilly, and as for your question, my only worry is that Australia are hands down, the best at bringing up youth who can perform on the big stage, one thing they do is rarely pick players under 22-23s, you have to be really special to be worthy of the baggy green.
An example of this is C.Rogers, who is 30, and made his debut for the Aussies in the penultimate test match against India in this series just gone.
Australia are years ahead of anybody at the moment, however, with more players set to stop in the next 2-4 years, maybe there's a chance of catching them - more a case of them going down a level, rather than anyone stepping up one.
Unless a team uncovers 2 awesome talents, I still see a further 5 years of Australian domination - especially with Ricky Ponting around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilchrist ends Australia career   Gilchrist ends Australia career Empty

Back to top Go down

Gilchrist ends Australia career
Page 1 of 1