Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2nd Test

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
2nd Test Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 9992nd Test Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm

I dont think I have seen an Australian attack so all over the place as they were this morning. Very poor, allowing our openers look like Greenidge n Haynes.

Cook is becoming a high 2 digit batsman - not making 3 figures as often as his good starts should enable him too.

Johnson looks like he has the problems of the world on his shoulders which is good for us n with the spinner hurting his finger, I wouldnt be suprized we hear of a replacment being called up.

Warne is in the country isnt he?
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
2nd Test Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 9992nd Test Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:16 pm

TickTok wrote:

Warne is in the country isnt he?

Funny thing is, he's sitting in the commentary box, still as probably the best bowler on this island at the moment!!

Great day of test cricket, good start for England and a fantastic innings from Strauss. The rest of the batsman, apart from Cook, didnt offer much, but then thats not really a surprise. Bopara, for me, is out of his depth. Never would have had him in the team in the first place and the centuries he made against mediocre opponents have only masked his inability at the top level. There must be someone else...I would rather Bell, or Shah.

If get upwards of 450 tomorrow, then job done. If not, then we have fallen short.
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Number of posts : 995
2nd Test Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 9992nd Test Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 pm

As i said in the other thread, i don't want Bopara there.. and today he proved me right. Again.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:44 pm

I thought today was another example why 20-20 cricket should be played at the minimum amount of times a season - like not once.

Most of our batsmen got out to poor shots - including Collingwood who is normally the tightest over his wicket.

In my opinion Bopara is must for the next test AND the one after - n those who are thinking he isnt up to scratch are falling into the Australian trap of singling him out. He looked ok in the first innings in Wales and unlike the other batsmen - he has been out to good balls each time n not given his wicket away with poor shot selection.

More of a worry would be Prior who has got out to the same kind of delivery 2 of three times. There is a huge weakness against the pitched up ball that comes back into him. Through the gate will give him nightmares - just like Alex Stewart had early in his career.

The South African continues to show a "I dont give F***" attitude at the crease ever since he lost the captaincy. Think back to when he first came into the team - how he was so "on it" at the crease - I am very disspointed in him - for someone that sopposed to be one of the best in the world - he is falling short.

The Captain excells with the bat while wearing the armband - its a shame he isnt top ten while we are bowling - still - he is due a bit of luck.

Bottom line - best Lords pitch I have seen in a long long time - 600 would be par for the course.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 pm

TickTok wrote:

Bottom line - best Lords pitch I have seen in a long long time - 600 would be par for the course.
We shall certainly see, when the Aussies come into bat. I feel you are harsh on the batsmen this time. Though I was annoyed with the little collapse, I felt only Collingwood (surprisingly) gave his wicket away.

Cook was lbw, as was Bopara and Pietersen and Prior were both undone by deliveries that swung later in the day. Flintoff is just a crap batsman. Perhaps, all of the above could have been more patient and not got caught out driving, but throughout the day to this point, the bowling had been there to go after. I still think we will go on to make a high 400ish score, maybe 500. If Strauss bats on and the lower middle order hang about (something Broad and Swann are more than capable of), there is no reason why we cannot put on another 150.

The key is how many runs Strauss gets, but he must be licking his lips at the prospect of a double century.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 am

Cant help but feel we should have enforced the follow on here, but I think that every time the opportunity is there. The pitch might be so flat we are stuck with a draw though, since we have to bat to get too many runs.

With them batting next we get maximum time at them and then would only have to bat to get enough to win. Time will tell if Strauss has it right, but negative declarations in the Windies cost us, it could happen again.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 12:11 pm

abcdef wrote:
Cant help but feel we should have enforced the follow on here, but I think that every time the opportunity is there. The pitch might be so flat we are stuck with a draw though, since we have to bat to get too many runs.

With them batting next we get maximum time at them and then would only have to bat to get enough to win. Time will tell if Strauss has it right, but negative declarations in the Windies cost us, it could happen again.

You make some very good points which I notice Botham agrees with - however, I am hoping Struass has learnt from those mistakes and if we score as freely as we have before lunch, we will be able to set a ungettable total early enough to give us ample time to bowl them out over 5 sessions.

Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:38 pm

So what is ungettable. Take the time to do some sums, considering overs left (without rain and bad light etc) and consider totals the Aussies could chase ?

The problem is, going 1-0 down from this position would be a massive failure, so we cannot make too aggresive a declaration. They must be batted out of the game. With Lords being flat for all 5 days, what is out the game?

When do you declare and with what score, in an ideal ((but realistic) situation?
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm

abcdef wrote:
So what is ungettable. Take the time to do some sums, considering overs left (without rain and bad light etc) and consider totals the Aussies could chase ?

The problem is, going 1-0 down from this position would be a massive failure, so we cannot make too aggresive a declaration. They must be batted out of the game. With Lords being flat for all 5 days, what is out the game?

When do you declare and with what score, in an ideal ((but realistic) situation?

Perfect batting days on that wicket - 600 over 5 sessions is ungettable with our attack.

I think Anderson n Onions will skittle these out with more weather days as yesterday.

Why didnt Flintoff bowl this morning - I think u might find that reason played into us not forcing the follow on.
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Number of posts : 995
2nd Test Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 9992nd Test Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Freddy freddy freddy.... Cool
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
2nd Test Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 9992nd Test Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Well Freddy does his talking on the pitch and no matter what sideshow you get with the best players, they perform on the pitch.

The rain yesterday morning came in perfect time for England to declare and not go out to bat again.

1-0 up with 3 to go, changes coming from the aussies, I'm guessing if Lee's 80% + he'll play and Clark is there too.

No reason for Harmison now...or is there?
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Harmison or Sidebottom for Broad will do for me.

Would like to know if Onions is injured or the captain has no confidence. Underbowled in both innings & as Ian Chappel said, the Australians look forward to Broad coming onto bowl as he bowls too short & for him, not a test class bowler yet.

Aussies are in a bit of a mess - bad opening pair - at least not up to Aussie standard n no other opener on tour.

Johnson is bowling - according to chappel at about 60% of the standard he set in South Africa.

With the other two pace bowlers bowling well - if Lee is fit, it leaves the Aussie selectors with a very tough decision.

Maybe that 50 with the bat will save Johnson for another match.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Harmison is a must for the next test in place of Onions. I think there is no confidence in him to a certain extent.

There are 3 stand out pace bowlers in the captains mind and they do most of the work. When it doesnt work, its Swanns turn. Very rarely do you need the full 5 bowlers if things are going your way. If not, Onions gets a go, but will have no success, just like the rest. He is just a put it there bowler and that is not enough.

Harmison gives us something else when he is on form, which he is. He scares the opposition and will be a genuine wicket taker.

I think Broad is worth persisting with, because he has many of the ingredients to be a good all rounder, I believe. Still young, and its not as if there are people queuing up to replace him.

I'd have Bell in for Bopara too, but I know people do rate Bopara, so perhaps I am a little hasty. For me, he should never have ever been in the team. I am a Kent supporter so keep a close eye on their fortunes....Key 270 not out this week. Not only that, as captain, he turned down the chance of a TRIPLE CENTURY, in favour of declaring to have more time to bowl out the opposition. Any takers Razz?
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 8:15 pm

abcdef wrote:
Harmison is a must for the next test in place of Onions. I think there is no confidence in him to a certain extent.

I cant speak for the captain - who most agree underbowled Onions - but as far as confidence in him - he has Boycott Chappel Frasier Tufnell & Stewart all in his camp over Broad.

Stewart did suggest friendship between Strauss n Broad is proving helpful to Broad, like Giles friendship with Vaughan proved helpful to the spinner.

Either way - Broad is the biggest passenger in the team - time to eject him n get someone who will take a few wickets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2nd Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2nd Test   2nd Test Empty

Back to top Go down

2nd Test
Page 1 of 1