Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Empty
PostSubject: Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule   Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 10:29 pm

The Football League has voted overwhelmingly in favour of implementing new quotas on home-grown players from the start of next season.

At least four players in every 16-man match-day squad will have to have been registered domestically for at least three years before their 21st birthday.

rest of article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7789808.stm

Any indication that this will be applied to the Premier League will be met with leagal action. With the 6 + 5 rule blocked by EU law...is there any chance of it happening?
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule   Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 pm

I have to say I raised a eyebrow when I heard this today.

Now we all know Fifa are keen on getting a rule passed that makes leagues catter more for players born in their own country.

I just think this decision add's more weight to Fifa n Uefa ideas and will put pressure on the EPL to do something simular.

While I am not totally against the idea of having some players involved in the team-subs on matchdays - I am thinking along the lines of 3 and then maybe 4 after a set number of years.

The rule will be difficult for clubs that dont have a youth team structure.

Many years ago alot of the lower division teams couldnt afford a youth team.

It's no wonder the bigger clubs have been asking for the subs number to be increaded to 7 lol
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule   Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 11:42 pm

Because such a thing would go against EU law, I dont believe that Fifa could impose such a law. As in the Football League it would have to be voted in by clubs, probably unanimously. It would be ok if it were opposed by a minority of smaller clubs in the Premier League because they dont really have a voice, but if the big 4 opposed, then it just couldnt happen.

Such a ruling would have to be imposed across Europe as well for the English clubs to ever consider accepting it. I think a better move than this would be to introduce a salary cap across Europe. Such a cap would only affect the top clubs and would just level the playing field a little.

It would certainly halt the billionaires in their tracks, because you just cant buy a squad like Chelsea or potentially Man City. Would just be more teams to share the top players around. Would certainly make for some interesting stuff. It works in many other sports, so why not our game?
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule   Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 am

Do the lower divisions have problems with too many non English on their rosters?

I would have thought there wouldn't be many, if any teams, outside the Premier that couldn't meet the criteria of at least four players in every 16-man match-day squad will have to have been registered domestically for at least three years before their 21st birthday.

It would have made no difference in the Championship last weekend, where every team met the requirement and most selected 10 or more players who qualified.

So why are they doing this, a publicity stunt?

The employment laws of the EU will stop this being forced on the Premier and other top leagues in Europe. Platini I believe has to take a step back and look what he is doing, if he keeps pushing the Premier League, he could see the reintroduction of a G-14 type organization and they will set up their own league and Platini can do what he likes with the rest of the Micky Mouse leagues in Europe.

A salary cap might work if it was based on a percentage of your revenue. You can not spend more than 50 % of your revenue on salary. You can't set a figure and expect the United's and Chelsea's to only spend the same as Bolton and Blackburn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule   Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule Empty

Back to top Go down

Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule
Page 1 of 1