Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

You are England Selector

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
You are England Selector Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999You are England Selector Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

You are England Selector Empty
PostSubject: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Like the topic title says. Which 11 do you pick for the Ashes first test and why??

1. Strauss (c)--obviously, goes without saying. Averages 44 in test cricket and has scored runs against the Aussies before. Has the most centuries in the England lineup, one ahead of KP. His captaincy will be under the closest scrutiny in this series.

2. Cook -- a long term opening partner for Strauss and has a higher average than his partner. A recent century should give him confidence going into the series.

3. Bopara--still unsure on this guy for now as he has not been tested by the best, yet that is still to come. Has done nothing wrong up until now and has the highest average of the top 3, albeit after a handful of test matches. Have a talented batsman in Bell waiting in the wings.

4. KP--unmovable in the England lineup, we cant leave out our best batsman. We need a big series from KP and he hasnt hit his finest form recently.

5. Collingwood-- hit runs in the warm up game and has been a permanent fixture, coming through his poor form in the past. Must score big runs, since no's 5, 6, 7 could be the difference in a tight Ashes series.

6. Prior-- should definitely bat above Flintoff in my opinion. Has as good an average as the openers and there could even be a case for him batting above Collingwood. Has really improved the glove work and less pressure in this department has allowed his batting to flourish.

7. Flintoff-- Has scored runs recently, but will be primarily used for his bowling. The 2005 hero may be left with the tail, but with Broad following, he will have plenty of time to make runs.

8. Broad-- has more shots than people give him credit for and his contributions with the bat will be crucial in this series. With the ball, he offers pace and bounce with good accuracy. Provided great support for Anderson in the warm up game, bowling 11 overs for 18 runs, though not picking up any wickets. It will be crucial for these two to bowl well in tandem.

9. Swann-- the best spinner in the series!! Maybe? Spin will not be deciding the Ashes this year and any contribution with bat or ball will be valuable from Swann. Averages 35 with the bat and 26 with the ball.

10. Harmison-- took 6 wickets in the warm up game, including a corker to dismiss in form Hughes in the first innings. For me, worth a gamble (why not) because he offers genuine pace and another option in the bowling department. Sidebottom is too much like Anderson and it is too soon for others given chances recently. Australia will genuinely fear him running in. What's the worst that could happen?

11. Anderson--should continue to lead the attack, even with Harmisons inclusion. Has come on recently with the added resposibilities on his shoulders. Should bowl alongside Harmison with the new bowl but be considered the number 1.

Batting: This squad will bat capably down to 8 or 9, with 9 of the 11 averaging over 30. Expect any of the top 7 to be capable of big runs.

Bowling: With genuine wicket takers Harmison and Anderson opening the bowling, early wickets will be a great possiblity over the 5 tests. The main problem will be keeping the runs down from these two, but with super economical Broad and Flintoff to follow as first and second change bowlers, England have one of the best seam attacks in world cricket (if all fire). With Swann providing effective backup and variations offered from Collingwood, Bopara and KP (if we are having a nightmare with the Aussies 350-2), Englands bowling attack will look better on paper than Australias.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
You are England Selector Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999You are England Selector Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 9:55 am

We must have the best bowling in test cricket cause we have left out Sidebottom and Harmison.

I like Onions alot - Never been convinced by Anderson - Broad isnt a test bowler.

Funnist inclusion?? What does Bell have over the selectors - has to be nude gay pictures, cause how else can he get included????
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

You are England Selector Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999You are England Selector Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Bell has made a lot of runs in county cricket this season, the only other batsman left out to really get any. He will only be first reserve batsman, and I think he should be. I cant think of any other batsman that should be waiting in the wings?

Bell has England experience, and current form on his side, but will not make the side until someone else fucks up.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

You are England Selector Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999You are England Selector Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 4:39 pm

abcdef wrote:
Bell has made a lot of runs in county cricket this season, the only other batsman left out to really get any. He will only be first reserve batsman, and I think he should be. I cant think of any other batsman that should be waiting in the wings?

Bell has England experience, and current form on his side, but will not make the side until someone else fucks up.

He has a whooping average of 25 over lots of years of trying.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Bell averages 40 in Test cricket. Very respectable I would say
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 6:37 pm

abcdef wrote:

Thats not what Sky said this afternoon - unless I heard wrong (likely Rolling Eyes ) and thats his average against Australia.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 7:20 pm

TickTok wrote:
abcdef wrote:

Thats not what Sky said this afternoon - unless I heard wrong (likely Rolling Eyes ) and thats his average against Australia.

Im pretty sure (as with most players I suspect), that his average against the Aussies is lower than his career average. I got the 40 average from a stats site, so I just assumed it correct.
Back to top Go down
JoshBrfc

JoshBrfc

Number of posts : 995
You are England Selector Left_bar_bleue32 / 99932 / 999You are England Selector Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 1:33 am

I do like Ian Bell, he has showed more than enough quality over the years at the top of our order, and has the experience needed to help regain the Ashes imo.
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
You are England Selector Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999You are England Selector Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 5:08 pm

This is my pick for the Cardiff test - two spinners are crucial for me and could be where England will win this test match.

1) Alaistair Cook - not really sure if someone of his quality would get to open for India/SA but from what we have - he has to open - his conversion rate is always questioned but as long as he can start building some good partnerships with Strauss it could be exactly what England need (if Trescothinck was still playing Cook wouldnt get a chance)

2) Strauss - my favourite England batsmnan - love the way he plays and hopefully being skipper will make him raise his game.

3) Bopara - his first real test - pressure will on him to step up and he will be one of the ones who will lose out if he doesnt perform first time as Bell is knocking on the door (who incidentally averages 40 odd in Tests)

4) KP - the best England has in the batting department - can take on any bowler in the world, only his temperment is ever questioned - hopefully he's wired properly for this and is THE batting key if England are to win the Ashes

5) Collingwood - Does well under pressure, has a good Test average and is also key to England making big scores. Will play a bit part bowling role too.

6) Prior - has to bat above Freddy for me too. Best batting WK England have, but not even close to Foster in the keeping department - hopefully he's in good shape, can make quick runs and is up for the keeping. With possibly 2 spinners playing tomorrow, Cardiff will be a big test for him.

7) Flintoff - in the top 3 bowlers in the world, his ability to bowl around the wicket to left handers is brilliant. If the other bowlers back him up Australia will struggle to make big totals - the key bowler - he can bat but not good enough for a number 6 spot.

Cool Broad - England's best young talent and one of the rising stars of world cricket along with the likes of I. Sharma. Loves the big occasion, glaring lack of experience but a series like this is key to his development and to become the one that takes Freddies mantle. If he backs Freddy up England's attack will trouble the Aussie lineup.

9)Swann - can bat,so a hint of Giles in him - is England's most intelligent spinner, very economical and will b England's main spinner as he is the safest option.

10) Anderson - a choice between Sidebottom of Jimmy, and I'll choose him because he can swing the ball both ways, I've mentioned before the trick a left hander holds from over the wicket but I think I'd rather Jimmy in the first test. Sidebottom to return after the first.

11) Panesar - England's most aggressive bowler but will definitely be targetted by the Aussies. At Cardiff if it spins a bit the two spinners will be better than Hauritz. Hopefully the coaches have taught him how to respond to agressive batting.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 pm

I think the most important thing about Cardiff, as you Huzup have commented on, is the two spinners. My side picked was generic for the entire series but I feel two spinners is a must as well.

If Cardiff turns round corners, Panesar will be much much more effective than Swann as he really does turn the ball. His lack of intelligence and variation only is a problem when a pitch doesnt turn.

Swann to be first choice over the series, but Panesars inclusion tomorrow could make the difference between the two sides.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:25 pm

huzup wrote:

Cool Broad - England's best young talent and one of the rising stars of world cricket along with the likes of I. Sharma. Loves the big occasion, glaring lack of experience but a series like this is key to his development and to become the one that takes Freddies mantle. If he backs Freddy up England's attack will trouble the Aussie lineup.

I thought after reading your words I had missed something about this boy.

He is being picked as a bowler - not a batsman.

Tests 17
Wickets 46

Thats less than 3 a test
Thats 46 out of a possible 340
Only once has he taken 5 wickets in a innings and never more than 3 in all the other innings.

Test Cricket is about taking 20 wickets a match - up to now he hasnt been much help
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 9:32 pm

TickTok wrote:
Broad

Test Cricket is about taking 20 wickets a match - up to now he hasnt been much help

Broad has proven to be a very economical test match bowler. He bowls with good control, at a good pace and gives nothing away. It is the stingy nature of Broads bowling that gives the guy bowling at the other end the wickets.

So often the experts say test match bowling is all about partnerships (just like in the batting) and Broad is a perfect partner for any other bowler. He is so hard to score runs off of in test cricket and it makes him perfect for drying up the runs and giving Strauss some control in times of need.

You need 20 wickets as you say, and you have 5 bowlers...thats 4 each, so Broad is just behind his quota so far. He is still young and I expect many more wickets to come from him. Put him in your fantasy Ashes team Tick, he wont let you down!

Compared to Englands finest...
Broad 46 wickets in 17 tests: 2.71 wickets per test
Flintoff 218 wickets in 75 tests: 2.91 wickets per test
His average is 37 compared to Andersons 34......his runs more than make up for the rest.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Flintoff has 13 innings where he has taken 4 or more wickets.

Test cricket is not about keeping the score down without taking wickets.

Dont get caught in the "he is a great foil" for whoever is at the other end crap.

You need bowlers who take wickets in test cricket.

Test cricket runs are scored so quickly nowdays u have to get the other side out far quicker - u have to have wicket takers.

Anderson is another I dont rate - too hit or miss.

I tell you what - Broad would never get this long a run in a Australian team - only one 5for only once getting more than 3 in a innings lol.

Sidebottom has TEN 4 or more in a innings in 21 tests, including two 6fors n a seven.

Onions has ten in 2 Tests.

Both of them would be in for me - with Flintoff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You are England Selector   You are England Selector Empty

Back to top Go down

You are England Selector
Page 1 of 1