Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should Owen be selected by Capello

Go down 
3 posters

Yes
Should Owen be selected by Capello Vote_lcap67%Should Owen be selected by Capello Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
No
Should Owen be selected by Capello Vote_lcap33%Should Owen be selected by Capello Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
Should Owen be selected by Capello Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999Should Owen be selected by Capello Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

Should Owen be selected by Capello Empty
PostSubject: Should Owen be selected by Capello   Should Owen be selected by Capello EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Is Michael Owen finished as a England player? He has scored four goals this year, 2 in the league one in the FA Cup and one in the Carling Cup. Hard to imagine any other striker getting picked with those stats. He doesnt look that dangerous out there anymore, his pace is not there anymore. Is it time to drop him from the England team? Or is his problem that he doesnt get the proper service at Newcastle and with the likes of Lennon, Bentley, Cole, Downing or Beckham putting crosses into the box, would he still get the job done for England?

Not sure who should partner Rooney if Owen is dropped though. Defoe, Johnson, Bent, Crouch, Heskey, Agbonlahor, all have their negative points.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Owen be selected by Capello   Should Owen be selected by Capello EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 5:31 pm

Well, im not so sure anymore. You used to think, Great Striker? Owen, but now he is almost forgotten, you dont see him leading the race for the Golden Boot anymore. You dont hear, what a great performance from Owen anymore. I think you have the power in Rooney, so i think England should look at Johnson, Defoe,Bent and Agbonlahor. I would love to see Heskey and Owen but im not sure it will work anymore with the presence of Rooney. I think Agbonlahor would be OK, not the best. Its not as if he's one of the best in the Premiership so will he be able to handle the pressure at the International stage. Johnson isn't playing that great right now, but i think he is worth a try. Defoe is being taken out of the Spurs team but i still think he wouldn't play decently well for England. Bent is good, but nothing special, he's not producing the goals that are needed and so playing him is a gamble. I dont know exactly how he would play but seeing as its a friendly, i think hes worth a shot. You could say Crouch but then who has the strikers instinct, like a Tevez or a Inzaghi. So i see it as, if Crouch plays, Rooney gets dropped, but Rooney has more quality. If i had to choose, i would pick Johnson.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Should Owen be selected by Capello Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Should Owen be selected by Capello Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Should Owen be selected by Capello   Should Owen be selected by Capello EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 7:34 pm

What England used to lack was a real quality target man to play with Rooney because the only role he could play was just behind the lead striker. This led to problems with being partnered with Owen.
Though this season, with Tevez joining Utd, it has been Tevez that has dropped off the front to receive the ball and it has been left with Rooney to be the farthest man forward. He has said he has enjoyed adding this extra dimension to his game and I believe that that could be utilized for England. He could now play behind a target man like Crouch etc, or play the front man role and play with a different type of striker.
England usually play 4-4-2 and with that formation personally I like to see a good header of the ball. Now for me, Crouch is shit in the air, so I would like to see, just once or twice, Agbonlahor partner Rooney. I think we might have something there, and for sure Agbonlahor has earnt his chance...
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Should Owen be selected by Capello Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Should Owen be selected by Capello Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Should Owen be selected by Capello   Should Owen be selected by Capello EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Agbonlahor is a very interesting choice by abcdef. I like the boy too, just not sure of I would have him up front wioth Rooney. In answer to the Owen question I would answer yes... I pick him... not sure if I would play him.

A player who might suprize everyone..... Carlton Cole
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Should Owen be selected by Capello Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Should Owen be selected by Capello Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Should Owen be selected by Capello   Should Owen be selected by Capello EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 12:14 am

England need a proven goalscorer, and for that, I would pick Owen. He always seems to deliver for England and gets the goals. I doubt Rooney will ever provide the goals that we need to win anything. He tends to miss too many chances, though he does score his share. The pressure is off him at Utd with others weighing in the goals, but I think in an England shirt, more is expected of him where goalscoring is concerned.
Who can you really see scoring goals for England? Seriously? Well the squad is announced today isn't it and the friendly is less than a week away. Happy days?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Owen be selected by Capello   Should Owen be selected by Capello Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1