Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coach n Captain at loggerheads?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Empty
PostSubject: Coach n Captain at loggerheads?   Coach n Captain at loggerheads? EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Seems like the Captain has thrown a wobbley over not getting another of his mates back in the team after Vaughan was left out.

I dont know all the in's and outs of whats going on with Cricket these days, but I seem to remember the captain talking the Durham fast bowler out of retirement and he being poor.

Vaughan has been injured or poor for a long long time and although players like Bell should be ousted - its too close to the ashes to do anything about the batting.

Like I said at the time - he is the wrong bloke to put in charge and obviously wasnt everyones first choice as captain.
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Coach n Captain at loggerheads?   Coach n Captain at loggerheads? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 12:49 am

KP as captain was nothing more than a PR stunt - one of the top 5, if not top 3 batsman in the world leading out England -thats all they wanted.
The number of educated pundits over the world - not just those in the English media, said the risk of choosing KP as captain is likely to have a negative effect on the team is great. But those at the ECB just wanted a name - and thats what they chose - they forgot that the person they choose brings their baggage, which in turn affects the team.
Ever since Dunc. Fletch. was in charge and Vaughan became captain, there was a clique that grew - led by Freddy - the biggest personality in the dressing room (still the case now) - if you want to be a regular, become friends with freddy
Why did Monty not play in the 5-0 hammering in Australia last ashes?
Why did Geirant Jones get picked for that series?
(as you point out) What made Harmy come out of retirement?
Who was Vaughan's first port of call when there was a problem?
Who's KP's first port of call?
The running theme is Freddy Flintoff in someway or another - he controls that dressing room - and he has the input when KP asks for the "type" of player he needs.
As an England fan - you can't not love freddy, the guys a machine, and an incredible bowler - the problem is - the media hold him at a point where he is now untouchable - as a result thats where he is held in the dressing room.
KP's a big personality too - the 2nd in the room in fact - just imagine the control you could have if you join the 2 biggest personalities together - thats what you get.
Since he became a hero - Freddy's in control - KP is now second in command...they want things their way.
It took a brave man to tell KP that Vaughan was not coming in - I'm just waiting for the ashes squad to be announced - see which of the selection board has got the balls then to tell KP Vaughan's not coming in - unless...somehow...Vaughan gets recalled - shock - horror.
Moores is a clever cricketing man, why would England snap him up after just one success as a first class coach?
His problem is - he cant get the respect off his players as he lacks any real experience.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Coach n Captain at loggerheads?   Coach n Captain at loggerheads? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Interesting post Huzup.

I knew Freddie was popular, but I didnt know he ran things in the dressing room.

Makes one wonder about his drunk Ocean event in the West Indies being made public and the timing of Fletchers departure as coach.

If I remember correctly - Fletcher spoke out after this event making it known Freddie has been warned a number of times about his behaviour.

Its as thou Fletcher knew he was leaving and had enough of Freddie.

I still think one of the worst decisions ANY English team has made in the last 20 years was to make Flintoff Captain of the Ashes tour.

What I find strange is, while they have the experience of that failier still fresh they would allow another of the so called "Rat Pack" you describe to again lead the team.

I have felt for some time Struass is a far better Captain.
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Coach n Captain at loggerheads?   Coach n Captain at loggerheads? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 6:45 pm

With Trescothick out of the frame Strauss has always been natural replacement for Vaughan - unlike KP and Freddy he has worked hard, and grafted for his position - he doesnt have that so called "natural ability" that the 2 mentioned have.
He was tipped highly to take the captaincy when Vaughan left - but the PR room got their way.
Jonathan Agnew was asked about Freddys role in the dressing room and he said - whoever the captain is - the first thing they have to do is get freddy on side.
Fletcher had enough, his hands were always tide and he was too big a personality to let players control him. The relationship between him and Vaughan was good - but again freddy's influence was too big.
Freddy had a drink problem and Fletcher was the first to spot it - or should I say speak up against it.
We are the first to criticise the Indian and Pakistan cricket boards about the 'politicisation' of their respective teams - yet we turn a blind eye to the crap freddy comes out with.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: Coach n Captain at loggerheads?   Coach n Captain at loggerheads? EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 12:26 pm

It seems like the south african is forcing the board to make a decision.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04012009/58/pietersen-moores-rift-grows.html

I have to say I am very dissapointed to read all this and what you have said about the dressing room Huzup.

Its at times like this u have to make an example of one of the ring leaders and I would oust the the south african from his job as captain - that would send shock waves through the dressing room.

I would then bring in a new captain from outside the dressing room - and if he felt he was not getting backed by the Freddy gang - drop them and tell the world why they are being dropped.

Oh how Brian Close would be perfect for this!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coach n Captain at loggerheads?   Coach n Captain at loggerheads? Empty

Back to top Go down

Coach n Captain at loggerheads?
Page 1 of 1