Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has the time come for a new England captain?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
Has the time come for a new England captain? Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Has the time come for a new England captain? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

Has the time come for a new England captain? Empty
PostSubject: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 1:06 am

Isnt it time?

Present England captain makes a present of his wicket in most tests nowdays.

There is no doubt he is a good captain, but the team isnt good enough to carry him.

Id like to see a captain who is the guy in all forms of Cricket... none of this sharing as Collingwood is pants at the mo too.

Any Ideas?
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Has the time come for a new England captain? Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Has the time come for a new England captain? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Agree. Too many good players waiting in the wings and not gettin their chance as the Englands gentlemans club continues to falter. Had a massive rant on the other forum yesterday and do not wish to repeat all that I said...plus I am in a better mood today!!!!
Shah, Bopara and Denly are players who we should be looking at and Rob Key should also be looked at for one day cricket. His new innovative style has taken my side Kent, from one day no hopers to 3 finals in 2 years. Long may that continue and if he and Denly dont get the look in they deserve, long can Kent prosper in the England selectors failings.
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
Has the time come for a new England captain? Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Has the time come for a new England captain? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 12:36 am

Strauss is the natural replacement for me
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Has the time come for a new England captain? Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999Has the time come for a new England captain? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 8:55 pm

I cant believe the South African is being said of as captain

Will we ever learn..... best player NEVER makes best captain!
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Has the time come for a new England captain? Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999Has the time come for a new England captain? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 9:47 pm

He wont - he may get ODI captaincy but I'm fairly confident it will be one of Strauss or Bell.
Broad to come back in to the side next test match with Prior replacing Ambrose.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
Has the time come for a new England captain? Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999Has the time come for a new England captain? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 am

I have to agree that Prior deserves another chance. The reason I wanted him out though was because he couldnt catch and his batting wasnt enough. Sure, he has gone back to county cricket and scored a lot of runs, which is what you look for from a player axed from England, but has his keeping improved? Making a good average of 35-40 is no good, if you drop someone who goes and makes 200.
England want their captain to be captain in both forms of the game. Everyone is speaking about KP for a reason. Because surely he will be getting the job.
The other two candidates huzup have mentioned: one has been out of the side recently and the other saved himself recently. Untouchables have to be made captain and the only two untouchables are KP and Flintoff. The latter has had his chance.
Best players cant make captains? There are some top top players that captain and still manage to make plenty of runs. Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting to name but two.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 pm

huzup wrote:
He wont - he may get ODI captaincy but I'm fairly confident it will be one of Strauss or Bell.
Broad to come back in to the side next test match with Prior replacing Ambrose.

I thought you have your finger on the pulse of English cricket? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 3:18 pm

(ok-so not that confident but got half of it right) Embarassed
Surprised with that - and you can feel the hurt from Strauss too after listening to his interview on the appointment of KP as England captain (Strauss thought he was a dead cert).
The talk at Edgebaston was for Strauss to be captain, from pundits and the barmy army, and it was only in the last 2 days that KP was put forward by some of the media as a real candidate.
It's a bold move, I hope it goes well, but will reserve judgement till after the ashes (if he lasts that far)
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 9:35 pm

This appointment troubles me alot.

There is no question about this guys batting.

He is on his day one of the most punnishing batsmen I have seen.

What I have to question is his being made captain when Strauss has already done the job to a high standard before the Ashes down under and was overlooked for Fred.

We need to hope that Strauss form does not drop off as it did at that time when the dissapointment got to him.

Lastly..... thou I hate to admit it and the new captain seems to know all the correct answers when infront of a tv camera..... I am of an age that remembers the last South African to captain England.

While Tony Greig brought a fighting spirit to the England side...... he still managed to make huge blunders off it.... and when u r not representing the country of your birth as captain (I know Nasser was born overseas.... but this is different)..... you leave that remark always open...."Well he is South African, he dont care as much"

Greig has never wavered in his putting England first when supporting them, which I admire him for..... but the man and his history should have been a big enough warning not to tread this road again.

You know as a footnote to this.... Cook would have got my vote to be captain before Pieterson if Strauss was deamed not good enough as a test player to be the new captain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has the time come for a new England captain?   Has the time come for a new England captain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has the time come for a new England captain?
Page 1 of 1