Talk-Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

England Squad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: England Squad   England Squad EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

England squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham United), Ben Foster (Manchester United)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Beckham (AC Milan), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool).

Forwards: Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

-Personally:

Goalkeepers:
James (Portsmouth), Jones (Middlesborough), Duke (Hull)

Defenders:
Taylor (Newcastle), Bramble (Wigan), Baines (Everton), Lescott (Everton), Johnson (Portsmouth), Woodgate (Spurs), Onuoha & Richards (Man City).

Midfielders:
Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Wright-Phillips (Man City), Lennon (Spurs), Beckham (AC Milan), Murphy (Fulham), Taylor (Bolton), Young (Aston Villa).

Forwards:
Crouch (Portsmouth), Heskey (Aston Villa), Davies (Bolton), Nugent (Portsmouth)

-I know it is a hugely strange selection, but I think it's time to mix things up... Plus it should cause plenty of debate, etc.
-Feel free to pick your own squad.
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

Number of posts : 5115
England Squad Left_bar_bleue130 / 999130 / 999England Squad Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-04

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:18 pm

A lot of inexperienced players on your team, at least at the International level.

There is a problem with picking a team based just on who is in form at moment. Nobody knows for sure whether a lot of the players you have picked can perform on the International stage. One of England's problems has been that when the manager whoever it has been has tried to bring in new players who are performing well in the Premier, they have been shown to be wanting on the International Stage. England's starting eleven is as good as most, but there isn't many others pushing them to perform to their best in order to keep their place. Some of the veterans that you have dropped are needed to provide leadership and steady the team if thinks go amiss.
Back to top Go down

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 pm

I haven't picked simply on form Red. For me, the defence may be the future (minus Bramble). I also think that Jones has shown that he might be in contention for England No.1 in a few years or so. The midfield, well what can I say; Young and Lennon I see no problem, they are in form, and are definately the future. Going back to the defence, I would probably include Ferdinand & Terry normally, but I just thought I may as well mix things up a bit. I am a big fan of Baines, Lescott and Johnson however, who have all been consistent throughout this season and indeed last. Richards and Onuoha, they too have played well for City as a back pair and I think deserve a trial in the squad (they too are future candidates no doubt). The rest of the midfield, Lampard & Gerrard, I feel need to be tried in different positions, possibly pulled back just behind Heskey as a long front man. Matthew Taylor is the odd one out in the sense that I did just pick him purely on current form, but why not give the lad a chance for 15 minutes? The forwards; Davies & Nugent, they wouldn't be regulars for sure, but again, it can't hurt to give them a run out later on in the game maybe, see how they do as they have been in form, etc. Heskey, for me (I know I am still slightly biased) but he would be the striker I would try to include in most England squads and be the guy that someone who is in form should be paired with -simply because of the fantastic service and hold up play he provides.

Going back to the idea of the future; indeed most of the key and expirenced England players have a few years left in them at International level, but surely it's better to start looking forward now, rather than 2, 3 or 4 years down the line when all the current key players are about buggered and we'd end up with the France Euro 2008 situation.

Leadership I do see as an issue though, as you pointed out. I think that the arm-band would have to be trialed on 4 different people (from my selected squad). I think that two of the obvious candidates would be Gerrard and Lampard, both natural leaders and love to control the pace of the game. Another for me; Heskey, see how he reacted with some responisibility on his shoulders (as I remember from a couple of seasons ago, he reacted very well, when he captained Wigan for a short time, and that, if I do remember, is when he got his call up to England). The other candidate is David James. Although he may not be an obvious choice at all, he organises the Portsmouth defence well in my opinion and I would like to see him do that for England more, so the captain's responsibility may see him do so. (Other possibilities; Beckham when he started the matches, also Steven Taylor, I am quite surprised he is not the Newcastle captain really).

But to conclude I am not saying that it is a squad I would pick consistently, but I think a few of the ones highlighted would be worth a shot, but I am by no means excluding any of the others I left out. I just think that it would be good to see some others in the squad, given a chance, the crop of the future...?

*Edit*

-Murphy has been seeming to flourish in the holding position for Fulham, so he might be worth giving a chance as there doesn't seem to be any other natural English holding player consistently playing at the moment.. However, I do realise that age would not be on his side.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
England Squad Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999England Squad Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:14 am

Is this England squad, the squad for the whole week? Both matches? If so, then given we have a qualifier in there, it is right to go with the established players. Maybe we will see Capello mix it up a bit against Slovakia but I fully expect a full strength side against Ukraine on Wednesday.

I am a bit worried about the squad in general though. We dont seem to have a top quality right back and we have chosen a lot of defensive players whose positions are already occupied (King Baines). Up front, I think we are sorted for now with Heskey and Rooney, since both have performed reasonably well under Capello when they have played together.

The big problem is the midfield. Everyone knows Lampard and Gerrard cant play together, but will they this time? Carrick looked out of sorts in his last game so I'm not sure if he is in contention to oust one of the big 2. Gerrard cannot be left out, given his form so one has to assume he will be the first pick of the midfield four. Without Walcott we will lack width if we dont pick either Lennon or SWP, both who have failed to impress on the grandest of stages. Again, without Cole (J), we lack a left sided player. Downing is a complete tit and I would rather play Cole (A) on the left wing with Baines behind than consider Downing's England future.

My main problem is missing Walcott. Without him, we have no decent wide players unless Beckham steps into the breach again, but he hardly provides pace and flair. Maybe its time for Lennon to put his hand up after his recent club form. Perhaps he will never get a better opportunity.

And just an afterthought, it would be nice to see Foster get some minutes against Slovakia. One must assume he is in the squad for just that and it will do him good after the torrid time with injuries that he has had. What games he has played for Utd this season he has done well and also has silverware under his belt this season!! And hes not a calamity...
Back to top Go down
huzup

huzup

Number of posts : 1067
England Squad Left_bar_bleue89 / 99989 / 999England Squad Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-08

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm not actually sure why we need this friendly against Slovakia - it's not like our players need some match practice, were coming to the end of the season in the league - our meaningful qualifier we have is against Ukraine in a group we are crusing through - so this seems a bit of a waste - give them a bit of a rest and an extended training period for the one game...but oh well

As for the squad, seeing as it is for both games - I agree with abcdef that Capello will/should look to play a stronger side in the first game (well atleast start with) and mix and match some of the other players in, and play his strongest side for the Ukraine game.

I think our weaknesses are the right side and left mid - this can be solved with Walcott and A.Young, though Walcott is not known for his crossing abilities and because Beckham lacks pace and no striker with good movement off the last defender we are a bit stumped there - I'm not a great fan of Lennon, he cant seem to cross, I still cant get that cross v Chelsea last weekend out of my mind where he ran 50 yards untouched and skied his cross - SWP is the same - though his low crosses are better than Lennons - but when you have Heskey, you do need some of Beckham accuracy and precision to cross.

As for the midfield - Gerrard is playing well at the moment, but he's playing well as a second striker just behind Torres and not a central midfielder - the easiest thing to do would be to stick him out wide right/left and play Carrick/Barry and Lampard in the middle but risking a ba;anced midfield.

I would like to see Downing given a chance, he can cross, but when Joe Cole comes back (whenever that is) and A. Young is given a first team call up it would be hard to seem him get a chance.

Capello still has a year to play around with this squad, if we can wrap up qualification early maybe he can test his ideas more, however I feel he has a plan and just wants the best players who can fit into his plan.

p.s. Voronin is in the form of his life at the moment, has scored in his last 7 games and helped Hertha Berlin to the top of the Bundeliga - if he carried that through to the internationals Ukraine could prove to be a tricky tie
Back to top Go down

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 4:20 pm

abcdef wrote:
And just an afterthought, it would be nice to see Foster get some minutes against Slovakia. One must assume he is in the squad for just that and it will do him good after the torrid time with injuries that he has had. What games he has played for Utd this season he has done well and also has silverware under his belt this season!! And hes not a calamity...

Well David James has been playing well for Portsmouth this season and to be quite honest I don't think Foster should even be and England keeper in the future. I think Brad Jones & Ross Turnbull are better candidates, especially at the moment too, having played much more football then him this season. Never been a fan of Foster.

Anyway, I went onto the BBC website and set up the squad as I would play it from the players currently called up:

England Squad Engc
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Brad Jones, Middlesborough keeper was born in Australia and has already represented them at the senior level. Ross Turnbull is English and has played at the U21 level, and is a possibility for England's future keeper.

James is 39 this summer and will be 41 at the next World Cup. Will he still be Number One come the World Cup?

Carson and Kirkland for me have not impressed when given the opportunity in goal, Foster has to have his chance to see what he can do and Turnbull as well. This friendly is one chance and once England qualifies for the World Cup there maybe a qualifier or two that they can test out the young keepers.
Back to top Go down

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I didn't know about Jones, but thanks for pointing that out.

I think Kirkland should definately be given another chance, aside from him being injury-prone, he has been one of the most consistent keepers in the league. I also think that he has saved Wigan a hell of a lot of points in the past couple of season. He has a good defence in front of him, but he comes up with the goods when he is called upon.

I wouldn't consider Carson for a long long time, if ever. After the England incident, he never seems to have recovered and I think he's a bit over-rated anyway.

James I think for now should be number 1, and as long as he continues to play well I see no reason for him not to continue to start in goal for England (Peter Shilton is a good example of age not being so much an issue, etc).

Going back to Foster, I hope he can prove me wrong, but for now I don't think he deserves a place in the squad. Although if it is just to simply test him out in the friendly, then why include James anyway? Surely Kirkland should have had a chance.
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm

James is there for the qualifier against the Ukraine.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

abcdef

Number of posts : 1492
England Squad Left_bar_bleue40 / 99940 / 999England Squad Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-07

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 pm

To be fair to Foster, he has had a lot of injuries, but when called upon he has always delivered. I remember most vividly, last season, he saved us from a Derby County embarassment with two world class saves and it was like his only game of the season.

I think he has the talent for the top level, and with VDS on the way out and Kuszcak quite frankly is shit, Fosters chance at the very top of football will come week in week out. There is a friendly coming where somebody new is getting a chance. Kirkland and Carson have had their chances and not delivered. Perhaps Turnbull will get his, but I dont think he is especially good. Its Foster's turn. Maybe he will deliver, maybe he won't. He almost deserves it just for the bad luck he has had!

To comment on the team you have posted Josh, I think you have just slapped on an interesting formation just to cover up the fact we do not have the players for the positions. I dont think Rooney will be playing wide left and even if he is, Gerrard and Lampard will not both be playing attacking roles. Its one or the other and the way I see it, its either Lampard attacking with Gerrard holding, or Gerrard pushed forward and Frank not in the team (of course, Gerrard on the bench is an option but he is the form player so must play). I dont see it working any other way. Since both will play, cos Capello wont leave a player of their calibre out given the squad we have, Gerrard must hold and give Lampard the attacking freedom. This is because Lampard just doesnt hold well, and Gerrard gets in his way.
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
Redcanuck

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 am

Thought I would update this thread now that the qualifiers are over.

So who would you pick for the England 23

I have picked 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 7 midfielders and 5 forwards', You may see it different.

If everyone is healthy I would go with this line up.

Keepers

James
Green
Foster

Defenders

A.Cole
Ferdinand
Terry
Johnson
Bridge
Upson
Brown

Midfielders

Lampard
Gerrard
Hargreaves
J.Cole
Barry
Milner
Beckham
Walcott

Strikers

Rooney
Heskey
Crouch
Defoe
C. Cole

Couple I am not totally sure about, don't practically rate Brown, but he is versatile and don't know who else to back up Johnson at right back. The third keeper could be anybody, Robinson or Kirkland for example. Plus I would like to see Owen get a shot in one of the remaining friendlies, Rooney is the only striker who can put the ball in the net. Tough decision between Milner, Young and Lennon and that may change depending who is on form.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

TickTok

Number of posts : 5199
England Squad Left_bar_bleue115 / 999115 / 999England Squad Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-03

England Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: England Squad   England Squad EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I am not sure about my squad for the finals just yet as I have alot of question marks over players.

Foster wouldnt make my squad no matter what he does between now and the finals. He has made far too many mistakes and falls into the catogory of, only a international because of who his club is.

I am very worried about Rio Ferdinand and would want to see a HUGE improvment in his clubform. He has never been a good reader of the game n has reliad on that wonderful pace he used to have to get him out of trouble. Back injury or calf injury, he has been exposed a number of times this season. He used to get in my team because of his pace next to John was important. If he no longer has that talent, huge question mark over him.

Glenn Johnson scares me - He is a terrible defender and I want defenders to be able to defend 1st. Red has raised a good question "Who else but Johnson?" Well I hope Hargreaves gets fit n kickstarts his career again as I believe he would be a better Right back than Johnson. He has played the position before, but would have to have a long run of games to prove his fitness.

There seems to be alot of questions hanging over Wayne Bridge just now. I havent got to see him as much as I used too, but I havent seen anyone close to his level of play while a chelsea player outside of Ashley. I doubt this manager would change the two players who have had this position between them for the last 5 seasons.

Left hand side of the midfield is up for grabs. I am not convinced by Milner no matter what bull the media are saying about him. He has no left foot and it pisses me off each time he checks back onto his right foot to cross a ball. For my mind Joe Cole is a better option and if and when Downing gets back playing, he has a huge advantage being a natural left footer. I can see him playing half a season at a fair level n making the squad.

Carlton Cole would be the first forwards name in the squad for me. Yes I am biased, but for me, he has everything to be a success at the highest level and would bring alot more to the party than Crouch n Heskey. I would play Carlton as a starter in every game up to the finals to give him confidence as he is a player who needs to know he is loved n belived in. I better add I have my fingers crossed he will be a chelsea player again sooner than you would think.

Rather than give my full squad, id like to give u the shoe-in's and add more later.

James
Green

Terry
Woodgate (If proved fit)
Ashley Cole
Bridge

Lampard
Joe Cole
Gerrard
Hargreaves (If proved fit)

Carlton Cole
Rooney